The purpose of Sheep Genetics is to improve the quality, scope and utilisation of across-flock, and where appropriate, across breed genetic information for the Australian sheep industry.
Sheep Genetics is a not for profit service operating for the benefit of Australian sheep producers.
Sheep Genetics provides a single national language in the form of Australian Sheep Breeding Values ASBVs delivered throught LAMBPLAN and MERINOSELECT
- ASBVs are available across flock and, where appropriate, across breeds
- Breeders retain direct ownership of their data
- ASBVs are updated twice monthly for a range of commercially relevant traits that impact on all sectors of the sheep industry
- ASBVs are designed to be used to compare the genetic potential of animals independent of the environment and location
- A database of some 3 million animals, reflecting data from more than 1000 flocks around Australia.
Together with the Australian sheep industry, MLA and AWI have facilitated genetic evaluation for prime lamb and wool producers.