2019 Resource Flock Nominations
Nominations are being accepted by Meat & Livestock Australia (MLA) for the 2019 Resource Flock joining. While the focus is Merinos, Poll Dorsets, Border Leicesters, White Suffolks and Dohnes, all breeds are encouraged to nominate. The selection criteria will be based on relationship to sires already in the Resource Flock, genetic diversity and index values.
Breeders will not be reimbursed for the cost of semen or semen collection.
Please click here to complete the survey to nominate potential sires.
- As Genomic research accelerates nominating sires in the Resource Flock ensures your flock is in the best position to capture the full benefits of genomic testing.
- Linkage to the Resource Flock increases the accuracy of ASBVs of the sire and closely related animals
- Linkage to the Resource Flock increases the chances of meeting accuracy thresholds for related young animals that are genomic tested
- Progeny measured from birth to slaughter contributing to research in hard to measure traits
- Data from progeny entered into LAMBPLAN and MERINOSELECT (individual progeny results will not be provided)
- Merino, Poll Dorset, Border Leicester and White Suffolk sires will receive genomic assisted ASBVs, including carcass yield and eating quality traits
- Genomic data from sires will be stored in the database for future use
- Smaller breeds will have linkage to the Resource Flock increasing the likelihood of genomic testing being available for those breeds.
- Nominations close 15 October 2018
- Breeders will be advised of successful nominations by early November
- Breeders organise semen collection by early December
If you have any queries please do not hesitate to contact Marg Shedden 02 6773 3466