Genomics service charges
Genotyping is an important tool that can be used as part of the toolbox that can be used to drive genetic progress and involves
The analysis of Samples to generate/identify the following
- genomically-enhanced ASBVs
- Flock Profiles
- parentage assignment
- genetic conditions and recessive genes
- poll/horn genes
Some useful tips when considering genotyping and sampling animals include:
- Ensure that all samples are taken with care and to the providers recommendation to ensure that they are a useable sample.
- Ensure that all possible sires and dams are listed on a DNA parentage order to prevent animals not receiving a match.
- Allow an appropriate amount of time between taking the test and submitting to receiving results.
For more information read the Sheep Genetics help documentation available on the Sheep Genetics website under the Resources, Genomics section.
There have been key updates to the agreements between MLA and your genomic provider to enhance the provision of genomic results and accommodate the large growth in this area. From 1 July 2023 additional services will now be billed at an hourly rate. This may include orders that undergo multiple parentage re-runs and parentage orders that contain animals historically tested on sequenom tests. Please note that all routine services including parentage reporting, flock profile and general genomic testing will continue to be charged at a standard rate of $1.85/genotype.
Additional services that will be billed at an hourly rate
- Estimating and reporting breed composition based on genomic information
- Parent discovery - this is looking for potential parents that are not included in the lists provided for routine parentage runs
- Historical parentage runs – this may include consolidating genotypes for flocks, splitting into year of birth and gender, and running older animals as parents against younger animals for each drop.
- Heat maps – sibling clusters, primarily used where there is a large amount of unexpected unallocated progeny
- In-depth parentage investigations (over 2 hours)
- Parentage assignment orders run that contain sequenom genotypes*
* Please note that where parents provided are tested on a sequenom platform that these genotypes will not be used in routine parentage testing. Assignment will be given without these genotypes included as part of the routine service. Re-running parentage with these genotypes included will be billed at an additional hourly rate.